Welcome to our weekly column by YSN member and movie aficionado Rama Tampubolon. He runs the movie review and discussion blog, Rama’s Screen, and was featured in “United 300,” which won for “Best Spoof” at the 2007 MTV Movie Awards. He’ll discuss the latest hot topics and movie reviews every Thursday on Waste Time Wisely.
I was in the video store the other day, looking for either a comedy film or a thriller to watch. I came across the movie We Are Marshall, which I didn’t see last year and on the DVD cover I noticed the movie tagline: “From The Ashes We Rose.” Out of curiosity, I checked out other DVD movie taglines and if you look (carefully) as you drive on the freeway, there are tons of billboards advertising upcoming movies or TV shows and they always have a tagline.
Movie taglines are a catchphrase that’s identified or associated with the film. It’s that one, short, marketing sentence meant to capture attention of potential audiences. So here are some of the catchiest movie taglines I’ve encountered. This isn’t a list of my favorite movies but they all have taglines that I think are interesting enough to represent the movies in a few words, some are hilarious, some are deep and some are just plain clever.
25. Malibu’s Most Wanted: “Ever feel like you don’t belong?”
24. Nightmare on Elm Street: “If Nancy doesn’t wake up screaming, she won’t wake up at all.”
23. Hard Target: “Don’t hurt what you can’t kill”
22. Ghostbusters II: “The Superstars of the Supernatural are back!”
21. Mexican American: “He’s not Mexican, he’s not American. He’s Mexican American”
20. Teen Wolf: “He always wanted to be special… but he never expected this!”
19. Network: “Prepare yourself for a perfectly outrageous motion picture!”
18. As Good As It Gets: “A comedy from the heart that goes for the throat”
17. Pootie Tang: “Too cool for words”
16. The Sixth Sense: “Not every gift is a blessing”
15. Gone Baby Gone: “Everyone wants the truth… Until they find it”
14. Rocky: “His whole life was a million to one shot”
13. Pleasantville: “Nothing is as simple as black and white”
12. Lars And The Real Girls: “The search for true love begins outside the box”
11. The Crying Game: “The movie everyone is talking about… But no one is giving away its secrets”
10. The Firm: “Power can be murder to resist”
9. Forrest Gump: “The world will never be the same once you’ve seen it through the eyes of Forrest Gump”
8. School of Rock: “We don’t need no education”
7. Trading Places: “They’re not just getting rich… They’re getting even”
6. The Silence of the Lambs: “From the terrifying best seller”
5. Half-Baked: “The feel-good movie of the year”
4. Kill Bill Vol 1: “Here comes the bride”
3. The Shawshank Redemption: “Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free”
2. Death At A Funeral: “Last rites… and wrongs”
1. Crash: “Live your life at the point of impact”
Have you noticed any other movie taglines that just jump out at you?
I know I’ve been going with “Let’s Talk About Movies” for quite some time, but I wonder if there’s a catchier tagline for Rama’s SCREEN… any ideas???
For more, visit your most reliable movie buff: Rama’s SCREEN