Ask Jen!

Welcome to Ask Jen, a weekly Q&A with the “career doctor” herself Jennifer Kushell! Every Wednesday, Jen will answer one of your burning career questions so start sending them in!

If you would like to submit a question, please e-mail and she’ll do her best to get to them all. Oh, and don’t forget to register on – Your Success Network and fill out your profile so we can link back to it!

YSN member aantony asks: What’s the very first step in officially registering and incorporating a business?

Jen responds: This came from the California Secretary of State Office, but go to the proper site for your state. The Secretary of State serves as the custodian of records for corporate records filed with this office.

The Business Entities Section is responsible for: examining, processing, filing and maintaining documents relating to the formation of California (domestic) corporations, the qualification of foreign (out of state or country) corporations to transact business in California, and any amendments to the records of the domestic or qualified foreign corporations; responding to inquiries relating to status or other information concerning corporations of record; providing certificates (of status or filing) and copies of corporate documents upon request; and receiving and processing substituted service of process.